Halifax Water is seeking future leaders of the utility! Are you a self-motivated, driven individual who has demonstrated your ability to provide exceptional professional engineering and project management services in a fast-paced environment? Halifax Water is accepting applications for Engineers to fill a variety of roles in the Engineering and Technology Services, and Regulatory Services Departments.
Engineer's in Halifax Water's various departments are a key team member in the management of the water, wastewater and stormwater infrastructure of Halifax Water. They provide leadership in Halifax Water by delivering services that protect public health and the environment. Reporting to an area specific Manager, the Engineer will play a key role in delivering Halifax Water programs. They will be responsible for the provision of professional engineering services for the project management (planning, design, and construction management) of a wide range of capital projects, asset management, managing environmental engineering programs, engineering approvals or supporting stormwater management.
- Lead investigations and studies related to HRWC infrastructure.
- Complete infrastructure condition assessments and capital renewal prioritizations as an integral part of the HRWC Asset Management program.
- Provide full project management for assigned HRWC capital infrastructure projects, including concept planning, engineering design, contract document preparation, construction management, quality control, and reporting.
- Manage cross-departmental project teams in the delivery of capital projects, including work assignments, quality control and decision support.
- Prepare scope of work documents and manage the execution of external consultant activities.
- Liaise with the public, elected officials, community interest groups, regulators, government representatives, developers, consultants, lawyers, insurers and other stakeholders.
- Administer/enforce legislation, by-laws, regulations and standards, and other relevant documents.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
Reports to: Manager, Infrastructure Engineering
Supervises: Engineering Technologists and Technicians
- Post Secondary degree in Civil Engineering with Professional Engineer designation.
- Minimum five years of progressively responsible related experience in civil or municipal engineering, including direct supervisory experience.
- Applications are also encouraged from candidates with applicable experience in chemical/process, mechanical or industrial engineering.
- Experience relating to any of the following areas is considered an asset: water treatment plants, transmission and distribution main renewals, booster stations, reservoirs, dams, wastewater treatment facility process design and development, simulation and optimization software, or any other related water system or energy and wastewater system infrastructure experience, stormwater engineering, or environmental engineering; in addition to project management skills.
- Must be eligible for membership in Engineers Nova Scotia
- Valid N. S. Driver’s License.
- Thorough knowledge of Provincial Acts, HRWC Regulations, Municipal By-Laws and Policies.
- Thorough knowledge of engineering principles, policies, regulations and practices relating to municipal infrastructure.
- Thorough knowledge of national, provincial and municipal engineering procedures, standards, specifications and guidelines.
- Expertise in developing engineering solutions to municipal infrastructure problems.
- Excellent leadership, motivational and interpersonal skills.
- High level of initiative, and ability to achieve results through effective interaction with other staff.
- Demonstrated ability to manage change.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely and effectively with a broad range of stakeholders, including the public, elected officials, community interest groups, regulators, government representatives, developers, consultants, lawyers and insurers.
- Strong consultative and negotiation skills.
- Strong skills in municipal engineering computer applications.
Applicants who applied previously for this competition do not need to reapply.
Interested candidates are asked to please submit completed cover letters and application forms [PDF] or resumes, quoting Competition #HW21-26E in the subject line (required) to:
- Halifax Water
P.O. Box 8388, RPO CSC
Conditional Items Required for Employment:
- Satisfactory background check
- Satisfactory pre-employment testing
Halifax Water is an equal opportunity employer.
Halifax Water’s goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the community we serve, at all job levels. Halifax Water believes a diverse workforce positively contributes to its success, and the success of our community. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, LGBTQ+ community, racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons. Halifax Water encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter.