Just because you’re without a tenant doesn’t mean your rental property should be without water. Through Halifax Water’s Landlord-in-Between Program, your rental property can have continuous water, wastewater, and stormwater service between tenants.
Here’s How The Program Works
- You will be charged a one-time fee to set up your Landlord-in-Between account of $25/per unit.
- When a tenant contacts Halifax Water to discontinue their service, Halifax Water will take a final water meter reading and close their account.
- The account for service will automatically be transferred to you, the landlord, without a connection fee. You’ll get a letter confirming that your Landlord-in-Between account is activated. There is one account per unit, so if you have more than one unit without tenants you could have multiple accounts.
- Service will then be billed on your Landlord-in-Between account until a new tenant calls us and is eligible for service.
- It is up to you, the landlord, to ensure the new tenant has transferred service into their name or you will be billed for service until they do.
If the premise is sold, inform Halifax Water at least five business days in advance of your sale to close down the account.
Complete the Landlord-in-Between Application [PDF] and return it to Halifax Water. Be sure to include your signature on your application.
- Halifax Water
Customer Care Centre
P.O. Box 8388, RPO CSC